What’s the right treatment?
Starting treatment for prostate cancer can be daunting, but armed with the right knowledge, you’ll have a better idea of what to expect.
Your Treatment will be determined by:
- Gleason Score given to your tumour
- Stage of prostate cancer
- General health
- Patient preference
Treatment options for diagnosed men:
- Active Surveillance
- Hormone Suppression Therapy
- New Therapies
You, as the patient, are the most crucial part of the decision making process. It’s vital to ask questions and raise concerns with your doctors, so you know what to expect.
Questions to ask your Doctor
- What are my treatment options? Which ones do you recommend and why?
- What are the benefits of each type of treatment?
- What are the risks and possible adverse effects associated with each type of treatment?
- How can I prepare for treatment?
- Will I need to stay overnight or longer in the hospital or is there an outpatient procedure available?
- What is the cost of my treatment? Bear in mind, your doctor might not know what the exact cost of the treatment is. It’s important to enquire with your medical aid about whether they cover the treatment and what you’ll have to pay for yourself.
- Will the treatment affect my normal day to day life or my sex life?